[Mailman-Developers] Re: being flexible.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Oct 30 19:51:19 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:45:32 +0100
Simone Piunno <pioppo at ferrara.linux.it> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2003 05:17, J C Lawrence wrote:

>>> ...as well as implement a bulk mailer to eliminate the need for an
>>> outgoing mail server.

>> Eeeek!  I trust this would be for immediate handoff to a "real" MTA
>> versus handling final delivery directly?  Quite the Pandora's box if
>> not.

> I believe the best approach is to cover all options:

No.  This is an one-size-doesn't-fit-anybody argument.

> A test installation (or a poor man's installation) will fetch messages
> from pop3 mailboxes...

Hell no.  Mailman is a conformant well behaved and very standard mail
system, not a hack on top of a kludge that deliberately flouts the
standards just because it wants to.

> ... (polling! I can hear you scream while you read this!) and send
> them directly to the internet (no real MTA involved) and will probably
> serve web pages directly, controlling port 80 (no real web server
> involved).

Why?  Even ignoring the abuse possibilities, what possible reason could
we have for that time and effort investment when those problems are
already far more competently and easily handled than we ever could, and
there are so many other, more rewarding and demanding problems and
features on the burner?

--
J C Lawrence