[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Oct 30 10:25:59 EST 2003

On Oct 30, 2003, at 6:38 AM, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Sure, but I suspect that plumbing Mailman out to http will be just a
>> proxy rule away from integrating with an existing web server.  That's
>> not without its headaches too, but should be as widely supported.
>
> Considerably more web servers support CGI-bin than support proxy rules.

And think about all of the colo environments where it's getting
installed. Proxy stuff may not be welcome there. And you make it
difficult for someone to integrate Mailman into a larger site
environment where they want to use tools (like mod_layout) to skin
things.

Do we know what a "typical" installation of Mailman is like? Do we know
how it's used? Do we know what kind of hardware it's really running on,
or what environments? Do we know what the user base is? What their top
ten wish list is?

Excuse me for sounding like a product manager, but are these features
because they're needed, or because we think they'd be fun to implement?
and are we building an upgrade the user base can use, or only alpha
geek hardware owners?

(and in reality, I think Barry has a good intuitive sense of these
issues, but I wanted to have all of us rememeber it, and maybe it
wouldn't be a bad idea to get some objective data....)