[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 29 23:41:37 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 23:17, J C Lawrence wrote:

> I'm still debating if I can run down there on the 8th.  I'd love to go
> to EuroQuest, but I also really need to be in Providence on the 7th, and
> back at work on the 9th.  Aaaarrrgh.  _IF_ I can make it we must go hit
> a pub with whiteboards in hand.

Sounds great.  Bring a laptop and we'll bang out some code (anyone else
up for a mini-Mailman-3 sprint at my house? :).  I'll probably be
heading to Fedex Field on the 9th for a 'Skins game, so the 8th would be
perfect.

> > ...as well as implement a bulk mailer to eliminate the need for an
> > outgoing mail server.
>
> Eeeek!  I trust this would be for immediate handoff to a "real" MTA
> versus handling final delivery directly?  Quite the Pandora's box if
> not.

Yep, which makes me nervous, but which does have a certain
standalone-ability appeal.  I don't want to write it off, and of course,
we'll have an interface for this so the first (only?) implementation
will be MTA hand-off.

> BTW Whatever happened to Michel Pelletier's interfaces PEP?  I see the
> draft, and I see signs that something got done, but not what...

Dead in the water AFAIK.  But there are lots of folks using a more
formal interface system for Python applications, such as for Zope3.
Just writing the interface down, with good docstrings, goes a long way.

> Last I heard Nigel was still running screaming into the hills.

Hey, I love Exim -- Greg's done some very cool stuff with it on
mail.{python,zope}.org.  But man, I find it hard to track down just the
right knob I need to tweak. :)

> Aye, that's something the Plone folk have been digging at with some
> success: a base library of waffle-stomp configuration patterns.  I'm not
> sure for Mailman if we want just a picklist, or a very simple wizard.

I haven't even thought about how to surface it in the u/i -- it's mostly
machinery right now.  But yeah, a wizard is just the ticket, at least
for canned styles (which again, will solve 80% of the problem).

Which reminds me -- I'm really hoping we can get some web u/i jockies
and CSS geeks in to eventually make things real purty.  Dammit Jim, I'm
a musician, not a graphic artist. :)