[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman at lenin.nu
Wed Oct 29 17:28:58 EST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:10:40PM -0500, J C Lawrence wrote:

> True, but that doesn't answer the question of whether an RDBMS is a good
> storage tool for messages.  I spent a couple months of spare time last
> year building an archiving system I liked atop PostgresQL using fully
> decomposed SQL structures for all the message bits.  It was not a pretty
> exercise, and the results were worse.  Brad makes excellent points in
> his comments on poor BLOB support, the value if DBs for meta-data, and
> disaster recovery ease.

I may not have made it clear, but I'm focusing on the metadata.  Once
you've parsed rfc822/2822, then it may become easier to have things in
the database that can manipulate those types.  I.e. to do be able to
do simple searches for a property of given arbitrary headers (w/o
having to have a database schema that consists of a few known headers
and "others" which you then have to treat as a blob or as text).

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.