[Mailman-Developers] Re: Requirements for a new archiver

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Oct 29 11:51:12 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:31:53 +0100
Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:
> At 12:53 AM -0500 2003/10/28, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> For me that came out to inn2, Message-IDs, We:Search, and a mix of a
>> MeoWWW derivative (HTTP) and NNTP straight to inn2.  The critical
>> point is that each bit of that amalgamation is independent and can be
>> trivially swapped out for something else that suits a local use case
>> better.

> One of the hallmarks of mailman is that it provides almost all the
> features anyone would be likely to want, out-of-the-box.  Maybe
> they're not the 100% ideal solution, but they're usually more than
> sufficient.  You get a decent archive solution provided "for free", as
> part of the base package.

You're making my point for me again.  By picking up the abstraction
model I've suggested and tucking Twisted and MeoWWW under Mailman we do
get the 80% solution for bundled with Mailman.  But we also get an easy
abstraction model where any one of the pieces can be trivially replaced
by something else, like the inn2 I mention.

> If you throw that out and go with a modular approach based on any
> number of external third-party add-in tools, then you might as well go
> back to Majordomo.

Which hasn't been proposed, even slightly.

--
J C Lawrence