[Mailman-Developers] Re: Requirements for a new archiver

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Tue Oct 28 16:20:29 EST 2003

> That's pretty much the ideological basis for what I have done. We have
> message-delivery protocols, and tools that know about messages; why keep
> trying to reinvent them over HTTP?

There is a huge demand for web applications that use mailing list data.
Mailing list archives in easily accessibly databases will lead to killer
community-building apps that *build* on the mailing list archives but
offer other resources.

NNTP access is fine, go ahead. And IMAP all you want. But I really hope
that the Mailman development community does not dismiss the *very strong
desire* for flexible web scripting access to the goods. As far as I'm
concerned, this is the only thing that's really holding Mailman back
from being the tour de force product that it could be.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, and I apologize if I'm being a
pain-in-the-ass with this, but I think it's important.

- Kevin