[Mailman-Developers] Re: Requirements for a new archiver

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 27 19:16:35 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 19:02, David Champion wrote:

> I'm hoping to get these materials better integrated and documented soon,
> maybe once I'm back from LISA. But in case anyone is interested in
> working with them, I've put them up on the web, linked from the above
> URL. If this were to be a standard solution rather than a local hack,
> it would probably need some refactoring for other IMAP daemons, for
> newer MM authenticators, etc. I'm sure I haven't done the best as can be
> done, and I'd certainly rather see IMAP access to archives be a standard
> component of (or interface to) list server software, but it's a pleasing
> start.

One of the reasons why I'm so interested in Twisted for MM3 is so we can
provide both IMAP and NNTP access to the message store, almost for free.

Which does point to an alternative direction -- maybe we don't need any
direct connection to an html archive.  Maybe the archiver should just be
a separate process that reads messages from the NNTP interface a MM3
might export.  Just blue-skying here.