[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

PieterB PieterB at gewis.nl
Mon Oct 27 17:46:54 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 05:28:50PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> > Also have a look at the "SMART Archiver" project,
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartarchiver/
> I didn't know about that one!

It's a similar university project of the Eindhoven University of
Technology.  The project has just been finished and I assume all
sources are/will be available. I saw the author upload the code to
sf.net, and probably our host gewis.nl will host a demo environment
in a couple of weeks.

About coupling the archiver/mailinglist:

> So I don't want to have to ask the archiver for that url.  I want
> Mailman to be able to calculate it from something unique in the message,
> and have the archiver agree on the algorithm, so that it (or some other
> translation layer) can do the mapping back to the archived article.  Or,
> Mailman should be able to calculate a unique id for the article and
> stuff that in a header for the archiver to index on.

Zwiki has implemented such functionality based on the time that the
message is received/sent. E.g. a mailout for a webpost at the
http://zwiki.org/GeneralDiscussion looks like this in the e-mail:
(look at the generated signature, with a hyperlink to the message
anchor)

> There is a discussion on the mailman-developers list on the
> requirements of an archiver: See:
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.mailman.devel or my post at:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.mailman.devel/14954
> --
> forwarded from http://zwiki.org/GeneralDiscussion#msg20031027142214-0800@zwiki.org

Off course, in this case the msgid, doesn't have to be shared between
application.

Regards,

Pieter

cc: mailman-developers lists, zwiki GeneralDiscussion

--
When a broken appliance is demonstrated for the repairman,
it will work perfectly.