[Mailman-Developers] Requirements for a new archiver

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Oct 27 16:54:39 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 16:37, Kevin McCann wrote:

> I'd love to have these database fields in a messages table at my
> disposal:
>
> id  (unique to system, not message-id)

How do we calculate this?  It probably ought to be globally unique, or
at least locally unique to a Mailman installation.  (Then again, what
happens if you move a list?)  It probably also shouldn't have any usable
semantics -- i.e. be just an identifier.  Maybe just a counter such as
"124.mailman-developers.python.org"

> listname
> subject
> date
> from
> body

This is the part I'm uncertain about.  Is it better to store the body in
the table, or on disk, with an index pointer in the table?  I was
speaking with Andrew Koenig about something similar, and he said he had
a very fast algorithm for finding a message in an mbox file given its
message id.

> message-id

Which reminds me, I still want to revisit the "does Mailman have the
right to mess with the Message-ID" issue.

> references
> mime_headers

Why not all the headers?