[Mailman-Developers] Bounce Processing / Membership Disabled comments

Jürgen A.Erhard jae+python at jerhard.org
Wed Oct 15 06:17:14 EDT 2003

Hi Mailmen,

just got such a message from python-list:

    python-list-request> Your membership in the mailing list Python-list has been disabled due
    python-list-request> to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
    python-list-request> 14-Oct-2003.  You will not get any more messages from this list until
    python-list-request> you re-enable your membership.  You will receive 3 more reminders like
    python-list-request> this before your membership in the list is deleted.

Please, give me (us) some way to look at a bounce message.  I feel
so... powerless.  It feels Microsofty... or, worse, Apple-y (sorry
Chuq ;-).  "You don't need to look at a bounce message, you won't
understand it anyway."  Well, I think I'd do (or I wouldn't be
subscribed to this list ;-)

I *wanna* see the (or of the) bounce message! (/me stamps foot on
ground) Especially since I seem to get quite a ton of mail on that
address without a glitch.

(Motivation: I've been unsub'd from most Debian lists a couple months
ago when GMX (big German freemailer, an address of which I was
subscribed to those lists with) had problems with their DNS: Debian's
servers couldn't resolve gmx.net for a couple days (or maybe only
hours).  In *that* case, smartlist sent a copy of a bounce message,
from which I could see the DNS problem clearly)

Oh, and looking at the Bounce Processing page: since the admin can
modify the bounce processing parameters, the "your sub has been
disabled" should at least *hint* at what those parameters are for the
list.

What I envision: the user's web page (not the notification message, it
might become to wordy) has a link under the "excessive bounces" text,
giving a page with a) the last bounce (without the body, which is
largely irrelevant, I think) b) the parameters of the list c) actual
numbers telling how many bounces have been received when.

Yes, lots of details, but not too much.

Don't know how hard this is to implement... took a peek at the code,
but I haven't quite grasped the relation between Bouncer.py and
Bouncers/*.

Oh, and while I'm at it: the default is 5.0 bounces.  The doc is
unclear: if there are hard bounces and soft bounces in one day, does
the count rise by 1.5, or 1, or 0.5?  I'd think it goes up 1 if any
hard bounces have been received, and by 0.5 if only soft bounces came
in.  That right?  Looking at Bouncer.py, it seems the first bounce of
a day determines the increase.  Though... I haven't seen evidence of
soft bounces.

And, come to think of it, what does bounce_info_stale_after actually
do?  Does it discard all bounce info (set all counters to 0) when no
bounce has happened for 7 days?  Which would imply that I can collect
5 bounces over a long period of time, as long as no more than 7 days
pass between bounces.  Worst case would then be: 5 bounces in a
month... holy basscrap, Bassman, tell me that I'm wrong! ;-)

Bye, J

--
                            Jürgen A. Erhard
                 Invasion!  http://invasion.jerhard.org