[Mailman-Developers] question about passwords.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Oct 10 18:10:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 15:18, Mike Lucas wrote:
> If I make a bunch of lists using the newlist script with the -q option
> to not notify the owner.  Is there a way to after the fact send the
> password to the owner?  The reason i am asking is we are migrating from
> Lsoft to mailman and are moving all our lists over to mailman. In the
> process we would like to add the lists and then use the config_list
> script to add all the settings of each list over with all the
> owners/moderators.  After we have it all moved over to the new system we
> then want to have an email sent to all the owners/moderators that tells
> them thier password for administrating thier list.
>
> The thing is that the newlist script makes the list with 1 owner. Then
> we use the Config_list to add all the other owners and moderators. I do
> not think that when i use the config_list script it will send an email
> to all the owners/moderators with a password to use.
>
> Is there a way to do this i am not seeing?  any info would be great.

Not really, and yes, this sucks.  The problem is that the admin password
is not kept in the clear, so there's no way to recreate it after the
fact.  The best you can do is to write a little bin/withlist script to
reset the admin password and mail it to the list owners.  You'd run this
after you ran config_list.

-Barry