[Mailman-Developers] Log file rollovers

Nadim Shaikli shaikli at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 14:14:43 EDT 2003

I've noticed some weird happenings with Mailman (v-2.1.2).  As expected
on the first of each month all the log files get rolled over (so vette
becomes vette.1 and bounce becomes bounce.1, etc).  Every so often I see
files that are created but are not used.  For instance, I'm looking at
my log directory and can see,

  -rw-rw-r--    1 list     list            0 Oct  1 06:27 post
  -rw-rw-r--    1 list     list      4819198 Oct  9 08:57 post.1
  -rw-rw-r--    1 list     list       632841 Sep 10 07:59 post.2.gz

all the current posts are still making it to 'post.1' for some reason
and not simply 'post'.  Mind you in September they were making it to
the normal 'post' file.

Is this a known problem and is there a work-around or a means to fix
this sans restarts.  I did notice this happening on other files as
well (subscribe, error, etc) - the problem resolves itself if you
restart mailman.

Regards,

 - Nadim