[Mailman-Developers] A couple of questions.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 8 11:09:56 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 10:59, Mike Lucas wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can help me with a couple questions.
>
> 1. Is it possible to turn off the email interface to mailman?  We want
> to make them use the web interface only, if that is possible.

You have the source, so anything's possible. :)  What you need to do
depends on questions like:

- do you want to turn off the entire email robot interface, including
the leave and subscribe addresses?

- do you want to turn it off for all your lists, or just some of them?

There's no easy way to do this, but with a little hacking it's
possible.  Be careful not to turn off the bounce processor, or the
-confirm address (well, maybe you want to turn that off too and just
confirm via the web).  Things to look at include the CommandRunner which
handles all email robot commands, and the various aliases that normally
get added.

> 2. How does mailman store stateful information like auth credentials and
> passwords?

Everything's stored in a Python pickle, specifically
lists/yourlist/config.pck.  Admin passwords are stored as sha1 hashes,
user passwords are stored in clear text (likely to change in the next
release).  The site password and list creator's password are stored in
separate files, also hashed.

> 3. Can we send the archives to a remote machine without using NFS.

This isn't a supported configuration, but you can hook into the external
archiver support to create your own mechanism for sending archivable
messages to a remote process.  See Defaults.py for details.

HTH,
-Barry