[Mailman-Developers] back to square one

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Nov 30 17:05:09 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 08:46, Dale Newfield wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> > The only error we're getting is every 15 minutes:
> > Nov 20 22:02:55 2003 (18412) No such list "[list":
> > ...with one space after the :
>
> > I've been unsuccessful in tracking down where that could possibly be
> > coming from....
>
> That message might come from any of these cgi accesses:
>
> ./Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s\n', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/edithtml.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/options.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s\n', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/private.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s\n', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/rmlist.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s\n', listname, e)
> ./Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py: syslog('error', 'No such list "%s": %s\n', listname, e)

I suspect the error message he's seeing is unrelated to his performance
problem (not positive about that though).

> Is it precisely every 15 minutes?  If so it sounds more like a cron job...

As I mentioned to Brett in pvt email, it could also be the BounceRunner
that's hosing things.  By default, every 15 minutes it processes any
queued bounces, and if these were bounces to the site list, it will lock
every list on the system to register the bounce.  If he's getting tons
of bounces, or there's some bug that causes the BounceRunner to crash
(or the Python process to core dump???), he could be leaving stale locks
around that would wedge his lists.

There should be some evidence of this in the logs/bounce file, or in
stale locks in the lock directory.  He could also fiddle with the
REGISTER_BOUNCES_EVERY variable in BounceRunner.py to see if that
corresponds to the length of time until he's hosed.

If that turns out to be the case, then we'll need to investigate further
to find out what's giving his bounce runner grief.