[Mailman-Developers] New SpamAssassin handler on sf.

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen ssm at fnord.no
Tue Nov 18 23:15:37 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 23:52, Richard Barrett wrote:
> I guess I cannot understand why you are messing around integrating
> SpamAssassin with Mailman when you should be integrating it with your
> MTA so that the spam never gets anywhere near Mailman.
>
> Or did I miss something important along the way.

Figuring out what to send and what to throw away is not up to the
incoming mail server to decide.  The list administrators should make
that decision.

Mailman gives each list admin a lot of influence over the specific list
configurations.  Providing a default action for tagged mail, as well as
a chance for the list admin to override the server admin for the list
that admin is responsible for saves a lot of work for the application or
server administrators.

If you use mailman for your abuse, virus, news-abuse and postmaster
lists, you need to provide a method for those lists to accept or deny
spam on an individual basis without fiddling with the general mail
scanning server.  These things are best left to the specific list
admins.  For the other lists, a default setting should be sufficient.

--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend.