[Mailman-Developers] semantic error in mailmanctl line 255 (Mailman 2.1.2)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu May 15 00:01:03 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 08:14 AM, Oliver Egginger wrote:

> The original line is
>>     os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')
>
> But this is a semantic error we think.
> The first parameter is arg0 no arg1, so you should be
> using something like
>
> os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, '' , exe, rswitch, '-s')
>
> Here is the diff for a patch:
> 255c255
> <     os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, '' , exe, rswitch, '-s')
> ---
>>     os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')
>

> This bug breaks several python installations.
> It don't work for my Mandrake system for example.

I'd like to understand better what exactly breaks on Mandrake.
Certainly, I've never had a problem on various Redhati.  AFAIK, that
argument is mostly for process listings, e.g. ps and doesn't have any
semantic value.

> It is possible to correct this in future releases?
> What do you think?

As you can tell by the comment just preceding these lines, I've thought
about different values for argv0 and settled on 'qrunner' because it
looks the best to me when I do a ps listing.  On my RH9 system, if I
use the empty string, then it eats arg1.  So I'd consider using
mm_cfg.PYTHON, but then the command line gets pretty long.  'qrunner'
just looks the best so I'm disinclined to change that unless it fixes a
real bug.