[Mailman-Developers] A Helper Script

Matt Helsley larva at linux.ucla.edu
Thu May 1 18:33:31 EDT 2003

Just thought I'd let folks know I wrote a small helper script for list
administrators. I've tested it on my own lists and it seems to work.
I'd appreciate any bug reports and other feedback. Send them to
mhelsley _at_ linux _dot_ you see L A _dot_ eee dee you.

This is a command line helper script which allows a list administrator to
quickly handle a large queue of messages pending approval on a given list.

Messages are matched using a regular expression applied to either the
subject field, from field, or both. Subject and From fields must match
in the case of both regular expressions being provided. To do an 'or'
operation execute the script twice -- once with each regular expression
applied appropriately.

When a message is found that matches the description provided, it can
either be approved, rejected, or discarded.

Usage:
			--from=<regex>] (-a|-r|-d|--approve|--reject|--discard)

Here's a link to the script:
http://linux.ucla.edu/~larva/projects/list_handle_pending

I found it necessary to write this script when a list I managed received
300 copies of nearly identical messages in the pending queue. The list
in question was the destination of some cron-triggered script-generated
error reports intended for a group of system administrators.

Manually scrolling through the pending queue page and discarding
the messages would have been much too tedious. Hopefully this might be of
use to other mailman (list) administrators.

Regards,
	-Matt Helsley