[Mailman-Developers] message data storage

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue May 6 16:52:02 EDT 2003

Quoth Simone Piunno <pioppo at ferrara.linux.it>:
| On Tuesday 06 May 2003 23:39, Donn Cave wrote:
|
| > At the end of April, one of our new lists was up to 6500 archived
| > messages for the month.  It takes close to 4 minutes CPU time to
| > archive a message in a situation like that.  The average delivery
| > rate to achieve 6500 messages in 30 days is 1 per 6 minutes, so
| > the system obviously cannot work.
|
| Why don't you just change the archiving period to "weekly"?

Good question.  Maybe because I spend to much time rewriting Mailman
and not enough time using it.  But I'm not sure that's really solving
the problem, though it would alleviate it in this case.  If I understand
the archive volume thing, it's a user-visible change.  We could have
a talk with the list owner, and he'd probably be happy to do this - or
for that matter, would probably be happy to dispense with archives
altogether, which would be even better!

But we have several thousand lists.  1500 already in Mailman, 3 times
that many yet to be converted from listproc.  The present problem is
new to me partly because it's an unusually active list, but also because
up to now the relatively light load on our host has allowed this kind
of problem to pass unnoticed.  This summer when we have twice the
population, will we have only twice as many problem lists - or will
we have 20 times as many, because the higher overall load has lowered
the threshhold?  Do we want to try to manage this problem, or solve it?
I'm hoping for something more like a solution.

thanks,
	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu