[Mailman-Developers] Problems mailing to the list

ljacobs lj at mandala-designs.com
Fri Mar 28 08:51:21 EST 2003

Folks --

Somehow this bogus address got entered into one of my lists. It was not obvious that this individual had entered this address or that it was being stored incorrectly, but while trying to understand why I was having problems with this list, I discovered this address, with quotes & all:
"pgyallay"@keap at fone.net

I have since deleted this address.

Now in the error file, when I was attempting to mail to this moderator-only list, I would get the following:

Mar 27 16:36:56 2003 (27183) Uncaught runner exception:
Mar 27 16:36:56 2003 (27183) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 129, in _dispose
    status = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 152, in _dopipeline
    sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 212, in process
    raise Errors.SomeRecipientsFailed(tempfailures, permfailures)
SomeRecipientsFailed

Mar 27 16:36:56 2003 (27183) SHUNTING: 1041577349.329875+47c1c7b9cd44c3e755ed5dc3549ab225ed1a848f

I do not understand the python error message, but does it seem like this error might be related to the attempt to mail the bogus address? And is it possible that having this address wedged in my list would prevent other members to receive emails from ths list?  That does appear to be the symptom, i.e., a very small number of subscribers received my last few mailings, and in fact when investigating the config.db with dumpb.db, it looked like most of the subscribers addressed had been flagged as bounced!

I then tried to remove all members from the list, but the remove_members command failed to remove all the members even though they all received a remove message! I had forgotten to change the "do not email the members when removed/unsubscribed"!

I understand there is a version of Mailman that prevents future subscriptions with bogus addresses, but does anyone think my problem with not being able to send messages to the entire list (8,600 members) is related to that bad address?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Sent via the WebMessaging system at mandala-designs.com