[Mailman-Developers] odd problem: since MM 2.1 upgrade all links to public list archives are broken

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Sat Mar 15 21:40:51 EST 2003

Hi mailman developers,

First off; thanks for a wonderful package. We've been using Mailman for
years to keep thousands of open source bioinformatics developers and
users in touch with each other.

Now I've got a problem that seems really odd. I'm a little bit afraid
that it may have been caused by some old cruft left over in our mailman
dir which has been subjected to many mailman upgrade installs over the
years.

The SMTP/mailman box is a Dec Alpha workstation running Redhat Linux 6.x
with python 2.3.

The problem:

Since upgrading to Mailman 2.1 (problem persists with MM 2.1.1) all of
our mailman list pages that point to the public list archives are broken.

The URL is presented as "<server>/pipermail/" instead of
"<server>/pipermail/<mm-listname>/"

This prevents our web vistors from getting to our list archives as they
are presented with a "you are not allowed to access /pipermail/" error
each time.

We have not changed our templates at all. In fact I blew away the
templates directory right before upgrading to 2.1.1.  I've verified in
the template HTML that the "MM-List-Name" etc. data seems to be in the
right place.

Here are a couple of example pages with broken links to the public list
archives:

The list name is obviously getting substituted into other parts of the
page. It's just not getting appended to the end of "/pipermail/" in the
URL for the public list archive.

Private archives work fine. I've taken one list and converted the
archives from public->private and the resulting "listinfo" page then
produces a perfect link to the private archive.

Any hints? Has anyone seen this before?

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam Inc. - Independent Bio-IT & Informatics consulting