[Mailman-Developers] Re: Tracebacks from Mailman v2.1 in Debian/Testing

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jun 28 17:33:18 EDT 2003

On 28 Jun 2003 12:44:44 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 12:12, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Something's wrong with the Mailman installation.  I'm suspecting that
> the email package didn't get installed correctly and Message.py is
> using the email.Header module from whatever version of Python you're
> using.  Look under /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib to see if email 2.5.x is
> installed.

> I've seen this before and it always comes down to some Python
> rpm/package not being installed....

Excellent analysis Barry -- accurate and revealing.

Short version of the results:

  The 2.1.2-2 Mailman package in /testing is broken in that it uses the
  floor operator, and yet the Python2.1 package shipped in /testing
  don't -- which means that the python2.1-email package in /testing
  fails to install properly due to you use of the floor // operator in
  _compat22.py.

  Solution: upgrade python2.1 to /unstable and make sure that the
  python2.1-email package is installed.

Hopefully the Debian mailman maintainer will read this (I'll CC this to
him later if he doesn't ack me here).

> I hope to have time to spin 2.1.3 tomorrow.

It would help me if we could squeeze the Return-Path fix in there.  TMDA
requires a Return-Path header and the work-arounds for the Mailman/TMDA
integration are ungraceful.  I won't have time today, and likely not
tomorrow either alas.  If you could delay a bit I can likely do it in
the early days of this week.

BTW I may finally be able to buy you some of those beers I owe you.  I'm
on a consulting gig in Groton CT these days (a long and dismal story).
Where are you again?

--
J C Lawrence