[Mailman-Developers] alternate root for mailman - part 2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jun 10 21:00:21 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 15:22, Marisa Riviere wrote:
> It seems that I find the answer to the first part of my question.
> I should include the line:
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mail_man/'
> in mm_cfg.py as well.  Please tell me if I need some thing else.

Yes, this will work for new lists, but not for existing lists (see
below).

> I still need to know how to convert existing lists from one
> version to other (2.0.8 to 2.1.2) as well as from one system
> to other.  How do I change the host system in each list's
> configuration?

Upgrading is simple.  First move the following directories from the old
system to the new:

- lists/<yourlist>
- archives/private/<yourlist>
- archives/private/<yourlist>.mbox

Then run bin/fix_url.py which updates the list's web_page_url attribute
to jive with your new setting of DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN.  Everything else
will be handled automatically by Mailman (you can ignore the spurious
warnings that show up in logs/error).

I do this all the time on python.org/zope.org as I'm in the process of
moving all our lists from 2.0.13 to 2.1.2.