[Mailman-Developers] Howto implement an external archiver?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 21:40:14 EDT 2003

On Monday, July 14, 2003, at 12:06 PM, Auke Jilderda wrote:

> Currently, GForge [1] servers have both web forums and mailinglists
> which
> I find confusing.  I prefer to have one discussion channel that is
> accessible via web, mail, and news.  The easiest way to do that is
> replacing Mailman's pipermail archiver with my own that would archive
> postings into the GForge's forums.  (The way back, that is from forum
> list, already exists.)
>
> I've been digging into Mailman a little to figure out how to replace
> the
> archiver but can't really find what I'm looking for:  Exactly what do I
> need to do:  Subclass from "Archiver" and implement the "ArchiveMail"
> method?

The two MM configuration variables PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER and
PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER let you define commands which are called to
handle mail to be archived instead of using the internal pipermail
archiver. The comments in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py prior to the
default definitions of these variables give more information.