[Mailman-Developers] Storing additional user data

Chris Boulter chris at jellybaby.net
Fri Jul 11 10:57:11 EDT 2003

On Thu 2003-07-10 15:21:44 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 15:12, David Birnbaum wrote:
> > It's easy enough to add members to the list and remove them from an
> > external source, but it would be really nice if we could have Mailman call
> > a program of our choice, with some arguments/environment variable/STDIN
> > whenver it reacts to a bounce or something similar like that, passing in
> > the relevant information about which email address is being affected and
> > what's being done to it.
>
> Ug.  I think forking is too expensive.  What I could imagine would be an
> XMLRPC backend against which you could write a server in your language
> of choice.  Now, whether XMLRPC is more efficient than fork/popen/and
> friends, I don't know, but at least you won't have to worry about funny
> shell escapes and other nonsense.

An XML/SOAP-like interface would be nice!

Listserv supports something it calls 'list exits', which are programs called
but better than nothing). Their manual documents the 'exit points' they
support. They all look quite obvious, but it might be of some use if
something similar is being planned for Mailman3. Section 5.2 of their
manual:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/developer/developer.pdf

--
Write friendlier email : http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mail/edit.html