[Mailman-Developers] Storing additional user data

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 10 20:22:17 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 15:12, David Birnbaum wrote:

> It's easy enough to add members to the list and remove them from an
> external source, but it would be really nice if we could have Mailman call
> a program of our choice, with some arguments/environment variable/STDIN
> whenver it reacts to a bounce or something similar like that, passing in
> the relevant information about which email address is being affected and
> what's being done to it.

Ug.  I think forking is too expensive.  What I could imagine would be an
XMLRPC backend against which you could write a server in your language
of choice.  Now, whether XMLRPC is more efficient than fork/popen/and
friends, I don't know, but at least you won't have to worry about funny
shell escapes and other nonsense.

just-musing-ly y'rs,