[Mailman-Developers] MySQL Support? Do tell!

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu Jul 3 20:47:00 EDT 2003

On 2003-07-03 at 18:02:33 [+0200], mailman-developers-request at python.org
wrote:
> Barry, you mentioned that Mailman can work with MySQL, just not "out of
> the box."  Can you expound on this? Or can anyone else?  I'm about to do
> a lot of R&D in this area and would like to tap into what other people
> know so far.
>
> Are we talking about data synching here, or is there a way to get Mailman
> to use MySQL to store its list config and membership data
> *instead* of these  #&%^@!  pickle files?
>
> If someone can paint me a picture I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> Mailman + MySQL =  :-)

Barry's explanation is pretty good but I think the integration with an ACID
RDBMS is a little trickier than with BerkeleyDB and I think MySQL would not
be a good choice for this. We have recently done our own RDBMS integration
for a client and there are lots of pitfalls along the way, as Barry has
hinted.

Charlie