[Mailman-Developers] Hello folks, I just joined the list

Peter C. Norton spacey-mailman at lenin.nu
Wed Jan 15 21:19:54 EST 2003

Its probably not too hard.  In my experience (I wrote a patch that I
posted here to prevent mailman 2.0.x from allowing posts from
non-subscribers since I didn't want to deal with manually dropping all
the spam) you could auto-reject above a certian number by adding a
check against a python dictionary (essentially an associative array)
that contains an email address as the key and the last [n] posts -
each one with a timestamp or something like that.  You can check the
patch I posted a while ago, or if you want I can send you my patch
since I think you'd want to reject posts in the same part of Hold.py.

-Peter

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:00:52PM -0800, Erik wrote:
> I'm in serious need....

> Add a limit on the number of posts from any one individual within a period of time (1 post per day, 10 per week, etc).
>
> Do you have an idea of how hard this would be to add?  I've been around computers and programming for 30 years, starting with Fortran in high school on a CDC 3300, including assembler (Motorola 68K), C (Unix 4.1 BSD - 4.3 BSD, Solaris), C++, C# (NT, XP, etc), some scripting with sh and csh, perl, etc., but no Python (yet).  I'm sure I could eventually figure it out.  I'd like to volunteer to do the work, but I'd like to know what I'm up against first.  I've downloaded the 2.0.8 sources but haven't had time to look through them carefully.
>
> Any words of wisdom (sure, it's easy ... forget it, it's hopeless)?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.
Or just re-use this one.