[Mailman-Developers] [ mailman-Bugs-664466 ] 2.0 cookies break 2.1 web auth

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 8 08:30:33 EST 2003

Bugs item #664466, was opened at 2003-01-08 11:30
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=664466&group_id=103

Category: Web/CGI
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
(as discussed on mailman-users)

If there are *any* mm2.0 cookies in the URI-space mm2.1 looks in, the following code will always raise a Cookie.CookieException and return 0.

        # Treat the cookie data as simple strings, and do application level
        # decoding as necessary.  By using SimpleCookie, we prevent any kind
        # of security breach due to untrusted cookie data being unpickled
        # (which is quite unsafe).
        try:
            c = Cookie.SimpleCookie(cookiedata)
        except Cookie.CookieError:
            return 0

If python's Cookie code (or at least SimpleCookie) doesn't like cookies with :'s in them that'd explain it.

This is rather a problem for anyone thinking they could run both mm2.0 and mm2.1 mapped into the same URI-space. Simply put, you can't (without re-auth'ing with every action in 2.1 lists), unless the mm2.1 code is rewritten to handle that exception better. Or unless you nuke all your cookies after every use of a 2.0 list (not just logout - in my testing that doesn't actually remove the cookie, just the cookie's contents).

The good news is that this should be no problem once everything is moved to 2.1.