[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] "Invite" vs. autoresponders

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Jan 4 14:58:58 EST 2003

At 11:49 +0100 1/3/2003, Fil wrote:
>>     SB> I've recently discovered that vacation autoresponders will
>>     SB> subscribe recipients to Mailman lists when they get "invited".
>>
>> Dang.  This is because the From address contains the confirmation
>> cookie encoded in the address.  This might kill this idea for
>> ease-of-use confirmations.
>
>I would imagine that, if the autoresponder is set to answer emails coming
>with a 'Precedence: list' header, the bug is with them, not with Mailman.
>You don't want to kill a good functionality just because most autoresponders
>are very poorly written - avoiding loops is enough ;)

Well, there are different needs for different Mailman sites.  If you have
to convince your provider that every address in your list truly wanted to
be there, it's "unhandy" for there to be such a simple example of
involuntary subscription, which the provider can demonstrate at will.

Same for sites which choose to block phoney "opt in" schemes, and which
contain members of your list.

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA