[Mailman-Developers] Strangely broken list discovered

Stonewall Ballard stoney at sb.org
Sat Jan 4 11:12:52 EST 2003

I have a list that is one of about ten in a particular domain. The list has
been unused for about 8 months (it's a seasonal thing), but someone sent a
message to it, and the moderator message I got had the wrong URL in it.

The list is at the domain <lists.dom.ain>, but some poking around at it
showed that the admindb part thought that it was at <www.dom.ain>.
Everything else about it seemed ok, but I couldn't handle any admin requests
because all the links on the admindb pages were pointing to the www host.

I dumped the list out with config_list, but there was no mention of
<www.dom.ain> in there. Not having any other ideas, I deleted and recreated
the list, and now all is well.

I still have the list files on a backup if someone (i.e. Barry) wants to
take a look at this. Since I don't know what version of Mailman created the
list, possibly a 2.0 variant or early 2.1 beta, I can't say whether this is
a real bug, but I wanted this to go on record in case it happens to someone
else.

 - Stoney

--
Stonewall Ballard