[Mailman-Developers] email comparison bug?

Stonewall Ballard sb.list at sb.org
Wed Jan 1 13:03:28 EST 2003

On 1/1/03 12:47 PM, "John W Baxter" <jwblist at olympus.net> wrote:

> I don't know how Mailman can be expected to know which domains treat
> address local parts caselessly (hint: almost all) and which treat them
> casefully (hint: the RFCs still allow it).
>
> Since <HerName> *can* be a different account than is <hername>, I think
> we're stuck, even though it almost never is.  When there is a sitewide
> database of Mailman users...we'll STILL be stuck, I fear, although the GUI
> might allow a user to say the equivalent of "that's me, too."

If Mailman wants to model identity (which it claims to do via the "global"
checkbox), it need to do so correctly. That means comparing addresses
caselessly unless explicitly told otherwise. If Mailman maintained a list of
domains that had to be handled casefully, I imagine that it would be empty,
but would handle the remote possibility that somewhere there was someone
stupid enough to set up a mail system that cared about case.

At the very least, it should let me change the case of an email address. It
can't say both "these are different addresses" and "it's already that
address".

 - Stoney