[Mailman-Developers] re: bounce action notification

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Fri Feb 28 13:54:02 EST 2003

On 2003-02-26 at 18:00:06 [+0100], mailman-developers-request at python.org
wrote:

> Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> > you go tell hotmail to fix itself, Barry.
>
> ...or tell your users to drop that piece of crap.
>
> yes yes, I know, millions on the Internet, elitist attitude, yadda yadda.

Actually it's worse than that it's counterproductive and that for two
reasons: criticising the what a user uses is implied criticism of the user
and this is not very friendly and as Chuq has pointed out may cause them to
leave; more importantly, however, the big mail services are interested in
having as good a relationship with list-servers as well. They like bounces
as much as we do so they are really happy the fewer they get. Talking to
the admins can be surprisingly helpful. I've got a list with a huge bias
towards hotmail and will be talking to them about working together as well
as possible. I'll post any useful response.

Charlie