[Mailman-Developers] Message Encoding traceback fault 2.1.x

Danny Terweij danny at terweij.nl
Tue Feb 18 12:25:58 EST 2003

From: "Danny Terweij" <danny at terweij.nl>

> with version 2.1+ and 2.1.1,  I have some message encoding problems. This
> messages are stuck in /qfiles/shunt/

> Logfile:
> Feb 09 19:34:15 2003 (2229) Uncaught runner exception: unknown encoding
> Feb 09 19:34:15 2003 (2229) Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in _oneloop
>     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 155, in _onefile
>     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in
> _dispose
>     more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
> _dopipeline
>     sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py", line 75, in
> process
>     prefix_subject(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py", line 262, in
> prefix_subject
>     h.append(s, c)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib/email/Header.py", line 243, in append
>     s = s.encode(outcodec)
> LookupError: unknown encoding

> And this are only from a few users and always the same users! Other users
> doing fine..
> The message is just a normal message from outlook express in HTML format
> (stationery's)..

> I dont get it why it goes in a shunt dir.
> After unshunting the message goes away with a subject line "NONE"

** Checked it now and it has no subject line after unshunting. just
[list-name]

> So there is something changed between 2.1 and 2.1+ .

> Please change it back :)

Still same error on current CVS 2.1.1+ is someone working on it?
If someone wants the pickled shunted message and the error log then i send
it to you .

I added mailman/bin/unshunt at cronjob every minute to push the messages.
I hope someone will respond to this and hopefully comes with a bugfix

Danny Terweij