[Mailman-Developers] archive html

Dan Mick dan.mick at sun.com
Thu Feb 6 18:55:55 EST 2003

greg steele wrote:
> ok... I did google and couldn't find any info about this....
>
> Can I edit/re-write the archive pages to match the look/feel of the rest
> of my site?
>
> anyone?  bueller?

a casual look at templates/en, and noting that there are a wad of files
that begin wtih 'arch', leads me to believe the answer is yes.

Noting this comment from the code, in Mailman/Utils.py, leads me to believe
that it could be list-specific, domain-specific, site-specific, or
global, too:

     # When looking for a template in a specific language, there are 4 places
     # that are searched, in this order:
     #
     # 1. the list-specific language directory
     #    lists/<listname>/<language>
     #
     # 2. the domain-specific language directory
     #    templates/<list.host_name>/<language>
     #
     # 3. the site-wide language directory
     #    templates/site/<language>
     #
     # 4. the global default language directory
     #    templates/<language>
     #
     # The first match found stops the search.  In this way, you can specialize
     # templates at the desired level, or, if you use only the default
     # templates, you don't need to change anything.  You should never modify
     # files in the templates/<language> subdirectory, since Mailman will
     # overwrite these when you upgrade.  That's what the templates/site
     # language directories are for.
     #
     # A further complication is that the language to search for is determined
     # by both the `lang' and `mlist' arguments.  The search order there is
     # that if lang is given, then the 4 locations above are searched,
     # substituting lang for <language>.  If no match is found, and mlist is
     # given, then the 4 locations are searched using the list's preferred
     # language.  After that, the server default language is used for
     # <language>.  If that still doesn't yield a template, then the standard
     # distribution's English language template is used as an ultimate
     # fallback.  If that's missing you've got big problems. ;)