[Email-SIG] Re: [I18n-sig] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-checkins] mailman/misc CJKCodecs-1.0.tar.gz, NONE, 1.1.2.1 .cvsignore, 2.2, 2.2.2.1 Makefile.in, 2.33.2.3, 2.33.2.4 paths.py.in, 2.6, 2.6.2.1 JapaneseCodecs-1.4.9.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE KoreanCodecs-2.0.5.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Dec 30 10:23:08 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 08:10, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> In any case, the 2.3 branch is in feature freeze now (has been for
> quite some time) so it's not likely that this sort of new functionality
> is acceptable on the 2.3 branch.
>
> Anthony (wearing the harsh release manager hat).

I know that the branch is current frozen waiting for Jack's thaw once
the Mac version of 2.3.3 is finished.  So there's no way this will make
it into the tree before the end of the year, which is my own
self-imposed deadline for Mailman 2.1.4.  No matter; I've reverted the
change in Mailman so we won't be shipping CJKCodecs.

But I do still think this is an appropriate patch for Python 2.3.x,
since it really isn't a new feature.  This change should be appropriate
whether you continue to use the old (and unsupported) Korean and Chinese
codecs, with the alternative (and supported) Japanese codec, or whether
you decide to use the combined CJKCodecs package.  At its heart the
patch actually removes unnecessary dependencies on the separate Asian
codec packages.  Since they all provide aliases, this will make the
Charset.py file independent of the codec package being used.

As soon as Jack thaws the release23-maint branch, I think this patch
should go in.  I intend to apply it to the head for 2.4 now that the
last regression has been fixed.