[I18n-sig] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-checkins] mailman/misc CJKCodecs-1.0.tar.gz, NONE, 1.1.2.1 .cvsignore, 2.2, 2.2.2.1 Makefile.in, 2.33.2.3, 2.33.2.4 paths.py.in, 2.6, 2.6.2.1 JapaneseCodecs-1.4.9.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE KoreanCodecs-2.0.5.tar.gz, 2.1, NONE

Hye-Shik Chang perky at i18n.org
Mon Dec 29 09:41:46 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 08:53:11AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> [A discussion about replacing JapaneseCodecs and KoreanCodecs in Mailman
> 2.1.4 with CJKCodecs]
>
> On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 03:26, Tokio Kikuchi wrote:
> > Sorry again Barry.
> >
> > We have to keep JapaneseCodecs and KoreanCodecs in the ditribution
> > and install in the pythonlib directory because email package designate
> > japanese and korean as prefix of charsets. I will have to study more
> > on cjkcodecs behavior (looks like japanese part has old bug in earlier
> > distribution of JapaneseCodecs) so please cancel this checkin.

I just got a mail that describes problems on CJKCodecs' iso-2022-jp
codec from a Japanese user. I'm investigating it and I plan to
release new minor revision that fixes the problems soon. BTW, I
think shift-jis and euc-jp codec of CJKCodecs 1.0.2 is stable and
backward-compatible enough.

> Oh dang.
>
> The problem is CODEC_MAP in email/Charset.py, right?

There's a bug report by Jason R. Mastaler already:
	http://www.python.org/sf/852347

> Here's a hack for Mailman 2.1.4:
>
> -----japanese.py
> from cjkcodecs import euc-jp, iso-2022-jp, shift_jis

and iso_2022_jp_1

> -----korean.py
> from cjkcodecs import euc-kr, cp949, iso-2022-kr, johab
>
> We add these two files to Mailman's pythonlib, and then the imports in
> Charset.py should work correctly.

Yup. it will. :)

> It would be nice if cjkcodecs provided backwards compatibility.
> Otherwise, we probably want to provide some ourselves in
> email/Charset.py.  I'm not sure there's a better way to do this, but
> attached is a strawman (untested) patch for email 2.5.5/Python 2.3.4.

CJKCodecs already have enough compatibility aliases for consumer
programs except that uses 'japanese.' or 'korean.' prefix explicitly.
It has compatibility aliases for ChineseCodecs also.

Hye-Shik