[Mailman-Developers] Password recovery

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Dec 26 21:45:54 EST 2003

- If all the SPAM is coming from one server, block the server at the
SMTP level.
- Spammers using Mailman to send out spam is a Spam problem, not a
Mailman problem.
- Spammers might not actually be using Mailman, just forging the
appearance of mail. I think this is far more likely. While all of
spamassassin's "list removal" tests happens to trigger a positive score,
I would not be at all surprised if SA alternatives, or Bayesian filters
would do the opposite.
- Mailman is Open Source. It would be infinitely easier for a Spammer to
remove any/all password recovery code then it would be for the Mailman
developers to expand on it.
- If you do happen to 'crack' this spammers install of Mailman (possibly
by an "inverse trojan": that of "fixing" Mailman) the spammer could
trivially use an alternate mailing list management system. Or just not
upgrade. Or upgrade and 'break' the new version.

To repeat, I find it unlikely that a spammer is actually using Mailman.
It just doesn't  make any sense. Given the design goals/limitations,
while not incompatible with spamming, Mailman a poor choice. There are
vastly superior, and as easy to find (or stumble upon), alternatives. If
the spammer is using Mailman, then they are using a UNIX MTA; all that I
know of have built in alias/list expansion. Why would they tack on what
is an extremely complex alias/list expansion self management system?