[Mailman-Developers] digest problems (anyone seen this?)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Aug 6 16:48:12 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 03:33  PM, Brad Knowles wrote:

>>  Looking in the digest.mbox files, it looks like the messages causing
>>  problems don't have a terminating \n on the message:
>
> 	Blech.  Any idea what the offending MUAs/client platforms are?

hate to say it, but I think it's mailman. I'm getting the message
multipart/alternative, with a text and html part. that's being stripped
just to the text part, and that text part seems to be messed up.

here's the original:

> ========"
>
> --============_-1151915027==_ma============
>
> <http://www.sjsharks.com/sharks/news/20030806-1060196976.htm>
> --
>
> Sharks are the best from the east to the west!!
> Go Sharks!!!
> Check out the latest news, etc. @ <http://www.gingerose.info>
> --============_-1151915027==_ma============

Not there's no blank line between the end of the message and the MIME
separator. Most MUA's add a blank line, but that's legal, and it ought
to work. But when Mailman's done stripping, you end up with:

> <http://www.sjsharks.com/sharks/news/20030806-1060196976.htm>
> --
>
> Sharks are the best from the east to the west!!
> Go Sharks!!!
> Check out the latest news, etc. @ <http://www.gingerose.info><EOF>

So it seems to be Mailman making an unsafe assumption about how the
MIME is constructed, not a problem with an incoming message.

Barry? What's your thought here?