[Mailman-Developers] Bounce processing performance, pending.pck possible bug/redesign

John Distler john at momsview.com
Sat Apr 26 09:45:18 EDT 2003

I'm currently running Mailman 2.1.1
I recently completed splitting my large 190,000 member list into 72 sublists
for performance
reasons (primarily bounce processing).

I split the lists leaving bounce disabled addresses in the mix to be able to
measure performance
of the new setup.

My first mailing to my 72 sublists generated over 15,000 bounces, however
the performance wasn't what I expected.

The first few bounces were processed at over 8 per second.  However that
slowed to 5 seconds PER BOUNCE near the end.

After investigation I noticed that ~mailman/data/pending.pck had grown to
almost 2 megabytes in size.

Even though I have my bounce threshold set to 5.0 and NO addresses were
disabled because of bouncing, pending.pck contained over
15,000  "re-enable" entries along with generated confirmation strings.

I double checked the bounce information was correctly registered by dumping
the config.pck for the mailing list.  None of these addresses were disabled
and the bounce information is correct.

I looked at the code in Bouncer.py at the "registerbounce" routine and this
behavior appears to be by design.
Am I missing something here or is this a bug?