[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Wed Apr 23 15:30:54 EDT 2003

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 06:01, Norbert Bollow wrote:
>
>>Wouldn't the "English (USA)" label feel like a slap in the face for
>>such a user?
>
> Here's a compromise that might actually be more useful technically.
> Let's say every language tag in that pull down had the language code
> appended to it, which would include any country and variant code, if
> used.  These codes would not be translated, since the RFCs specify them
> as English letters.
>
> Thus, "English (USA)" would change to "English (en)", and we'd see other
> entries like "France (fr)" and "Portuguese (pt_BR)".  You'd still see
> "(en)" in the Japanese translation too.  Would this be too jarring for
> non-English, non-European users?

Why not stick to the standard English language names ?

E.g.
         'de': 'German',
         'de-at': 'German/Austria',
         'de-de': 'German/Germany',
         'de-ch': 'German/Switzerland',
         'dz': 'Bhutani',
         'el': 'Greek',
         'en': 'English',
         'en-gb': 'English/United Kingdom',
         'en-us': 'English/United States',
         'eo': 'Esperanto',
         'es': 'Spanish',
         'es-ar': 'Spanish/Argentina',
         'es-es': 'Spanish/Spain',
         'es-co': 'Spanish/Colombia',
         'es-mx': 'Spanish/Mexico',

See "Names of Languages - ISO 639" and "Language Tag - RFC 1766/3066"
for more background information.

     Resources:
     - http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc3066.html
     - http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langhome.html
     - http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 23 2003)