[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Roger Lynn Roger at compsoc.man.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 23:07:41 EDT 2003

Marty Galyean wrote:
> How hard would it really be for someone really concerned about the lack
> of a non-USA English option to port a non-USA English (UK I assume) and
> so add to the project rather than just trying to relabel what is clearly
> in reality American English?

This was my preferred solution, but I couldn't find any documentation on
www.list.org on how to produce a new translation. I might have another go
when I have some time, but renaming the language was the easy fix. As I said
before, so far I've noticed only *ONE* word that needed changing.

<snip>
> What I find ironic is that I am strongly of the mind that if American
> English had been labeled as merely 'English' to start with that someone
> out there would have been offended about "Americans *assuming* that
> their brand of English is standard!  I want it labeled 'English (USA) so
> that people are not deceived!".

This is probably true.

> Oh yeah, almost forgot.  I suppose we need a Canadian English also.  I
> don't think I'd do very well on that.  As far as I know it is the same
> as UK which shows how little I know, I am sure.

I'm probably wrong, but afaik US spelling is used in Canada.

Roger