[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Roger Lynn Roger at compsoc.man.ac.uk
Sat Apr 12 00:02:43 EDT 2003

On Tue 18 Mar, Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:44:46PM +0100, CARTER Anthony wrote:
>
>> I would like to know if there is any way that we can remove the "USA"
>> bit from the language options? For example, instead of "English (USA)"
>> have just "English"
>
> Well, you can certainly do that for your own Mailman installation; just
> search for 'USA' and remove the string where you see it :) Whether we want
> that by default in the distributed Mailman is something else. I'd personally
> be against it, because there is a real difference between, for instance,
> English for the British and English for the Americans. Calling it English
> (USA) at least makes it clear which version it is, even if there isn't
> (yet) a British variant. Or is there ?

I think having "English (USA)" appear as the only available language is more
annoying for non-Americans than any Americanisms that might be in Mailman
(and which are to be expected in most software anyway). So far, I've only
noticed one, the spelling of "internationalisation", and that only appears
on an admin page. Unless alternative English translations appear I would
prefer the option to just be "English".

To the original poster, if you haven't already discovered this:
The languages can be renamed at the bottom of the Mailman/Defaults.py file.
"internationalization" appears in Mailman/Gui/Language.py

Roger