[Mailman-Developers] feature request: new option for reply_goes_to_list

Marc MERLIN marc_news@merlins.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 18:19:21 -0700

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:08:14PM +0200, Simone Piunno wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I run a bunch of lists with reply_goes_to_list=1
>
> (yeah, I know that reply-to munging is considered harmful but I consider
> more important to keep discussions inside the lists and anyway this has

I'm just amazed at how many times I've read this complete nonsense.

What  you all  are doing  is furthering  people's ignorance  of their mail
clients functionality  and preventing people  from replying directly  to the
original sender if so wished.

There is a reason why you have at least two reply functions: reply to author
and reply  to all/list. Yes,  it does mean  you have to  use your  brain and
decide which one you want to do.
Any attempt  to make this choice  go away with something  magic that somehow
figures out what the poster really meant to do are _not_ going to work.

Please leave  people in peace and  let them decide for  themselves which one
they want to do. By forcing a reply to list upon them, you are removing that
choice and furthering their ignorance of the two reply functions.

Marc