[Mailman-Developers] Way into the future -- XML and Mailman?

Gary Frederick gary.frederick@jsoft.com
Tue Oct 29 12:12:37 2002

I poked around with XMLizing email a while ago. I did a bit of testing with using J2EE's JavaMail to read email and turning headers and the various mime parts into xml. I also did a bit with making MHonArc XHTML.

My feel was that if email were XML, it would simplify parsing and that software that treated email as another source of information would start to become more common. I saw mailing list software as tapping into a stream of email and then doing what it does best. I did not see a big change on how stuff works. We would still get a message, apply whatever filters and send the message out. It would probably be a bit easier to 'see' what was happening with XML. I saw XMLizing email as a benefit for archiving. We could use XSLT to translate the email to whatever archive format without much work.

Then I went on to other things :-)

Gary