[Mailman-Developers] Startup problems

Nick Arnett narnett@mccmedia.com
Mon Oct 28 00:47:45 2002

I asked this on mailman-users and got one good hint, but I guess this is a
more appropriate place.

After upgrading to 2.1b2 (on Red Hat 7.2), during which I changed
installation to /usr/local (from /var/local, I think), mailman is not
starting when I boot, and when I use Linuxconf to do anything, on exit, it
thinks that Mailman isn't running (it is) and tries to start it, but kills
it instead, somehow.

Looking at the Linuxconf logs, I find something like this:

Service Mailman is not running
/etc/rc5.d/S98mailman start

-- and --

No such file or directory:
'master-qrunner.www.mccmedia.com.3516'

I really don't know enough about this part of Linux to guess where to look
for the problem, though I suspect that perhaps it has something to do with
leftovers from the earlier version (whose version number I do not recall,
but it was a 1.x, I think).

Any suggestions?  The startup script appears to be in the right place
(/etc/init.d/mailman).

Mailman starts manually and runs just fine -- I just have to remember to
start it after booting or letting Linuxconf do its thing.  And
unfortunately, I forget, since those are rare events.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

--
Nick Arnett