[Mailman-Developers] amazingly slow ArchRunner performance

Andrew D. Clark andrew.clark@ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 24 18:54:12 2002

Hello all,

I'm using mailman 2.1b3, on FreeBSD 4.6 (PIII 700mhz with 1GB RAM and fast
disks) with Exim 4 and a local caching named server.  Qrunner performance
seems vastly improved over mailman 2.0.x, but archiving is amazingly slow
(ArchRunner pushes about 1 msg. every 1 to 2 minutes).  I've posted on the
mailman-users list, to no avail.  I've got about twenty lists, but the
problem one is a particularly bursty high volume list with only three
members.  There's currently 2072 files in qfiles/archive (so about 1036
messages), the oldest of which is a little over 24 hours old.  Restarting
the queue runners didn't help, and there aren't any stale locks sitting
around.  The mbox file for this list is 540MB in size.  I've grubbed
through the code a bit (but I'm a Perl hacker, not a Python guru).  Help?
I'm not sure if there's a memory leak in the ArchRunner, or what exactly
it's trying to slurp up, but it sure does eat RAM:

PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
42813 mailman   60   0    99M    98M RUN    921:25 96.09% 96.09% python

--
Andrew Clark
Campus Network Programmer