[Mailman-Developers] here we go again... (are these headers really right?)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:05:27 -0700

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 09:54  AM, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> 1. Stick the list posting address back in the To header and probably
>    not include the recipient's address in a mail header.

my first preference.

> 2. Leave the recip's address in To, but add a CC back to the list

my second choice.

Both of these re-enable what I think is "right" here -- reply to
author, reply-all to author and list.

> 3. Munge Reply-To so that the list's address gets in there somehow

I don't like this -- because it removes the reply/reply-to dichotomy
above.

> So I'm inclined to add #2, but only if reply_goes_to_list isn't "This
> List", since I don't think you need the list address in there twice.

that seems to me best compromise. If you don't coerce reply-to, stick
the list in CC so the replies work right. If you DO coerce reply-to,
then it takes precedence and leave it alone.

> How's that different than what we do now (modulo one of the fixes
> above)?

It's not...

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek