[Mailman-Developers] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:39:13 -0700

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 19:58:14 -0400
Barry A Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:

>> Would you like to have the Exim/TMDA/Mailman HOW-TO as a rider on
>> that, or should we tuck it in as a separate README (Barry?).

> Is the document Exim specific, or can you write it to be somewhat
> agnostic towards the mta?

It is absurdly MTA specific.  There's really not much choice about that
-- TMDA really needs to get into the mail system at a level just above
acceptance and just below delivery, and that level is quite MTA
specific.  Achieving the same ends under Postfix requires bleeding edge
features of Postfix (we;ll, bleeding edge when I did the HOW-TO, I've
not checked since then) and resorting to sub-domains and other gross
perturbations of a mail system.  I've not looked at what would be needed
for Sendmail.  Jason M of TMDA fame at one point said he'd write a QMail
based HOW-TO, but I haven't noticed that go by yet.

> If so, I'd be happy to add a README.TMDA, or point to any
> documentation in the TMDA web pages.

There's a FAQ entry:

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.007.htp

It needs updating for Exim4 and newer revs of TMDA, but I'm a mite short
of time for that.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?