[Mailman-Developers] updated to CVS, and stuff broke....

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:11:07 -0400

    CVR> Looks like a couple of Defaults.py variables got added but
    CVR> weren't added to Defaults.py on the update.

You know that whenever you cvs up, you should always run
"./config.status" to update the generated files.  When new global
variables are added, they're always added to Defaults.py.in, and it's
only the re-running of configure (or config.status to retain your
previous options) that creates the Defaults.py file that Mailman
expects.

Another thing you always want to do when upgrading is to run
"bin/mailmanctl restart" after doing a "make install"

    CVR> Once I turn it on through the admin page, it stops working
    CVR> with:

    | plaidworks.com 110# Oct 12 20:36:07 2002 (21778) Uncaught runner
    | exception: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'
    | Oct 12 20:36:07 2002 (21778) Traceback (most recent call last):
    |    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105, in
    | _oneloop
    |      self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
    |    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 154, in
    | _onefile
    |      keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    |    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 61,
    | in _dispose
    |      self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
    |    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 135,
    | in process
    |      msgdata['recips'] = chunk
    |    File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 287,
    | in verpdeliver
    |      # name is a byte string, convert it first to Unicode, given
    | AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'

    CVR> if I turn that back off, the lsit starts working again.

This traceback is nonsensical.  First, it looks like line 287 is
pointing into a comment, and that should never happen.  So somehow
your source code is out of sync with what your daemon is running.
Do a cvs up, then follow the recipe above and see if that fixes your
problems.

-Barry