[Mailman-Developers] Disallowed characters in email address?

Darrell Fuhriman darrell@grumblesmurf.net
06 Oct 2002 13:00:30 -0700

Dale Newfield <Dale@Newfield.org> writes:

> Just stumbled across this in Utils.py:
> > # TBD: what other characters should be disallowed?
> > _badchars = re.compile('[][()<>|;^,/]')
>

> and thought I'd suggest that " and ' get added to that list...

Nope, because both of those characters are valid e-mail address
components.  Not in the form you mention (i.e. the double quote
is not allowed in the domain part), but certainly in the local
part.

In fact this is a perfectly valid e-mail address:

"f@,'[& "@example.com

And the parser should be able to cope with them, or any other RFC
2822 compliant address.

Darrell